Monday, October 25, 2010

Chapter 70

70
THE WHITE HOUSE

President Haskill had been to four meetings prior to his scheduled ten o'clock with General Tower. His thoughts were racing. All morning he had been smiling, shaking hands and posing for photographs while the most important business of the Presidency had been delayed until mid morning. The most important business of the presidency was getting Robert Haskill reelected to the presidency. Millions of nut cases rioting in the streets across the country, unwilling to stop for anything apparently, and some strange man from the jungles of Brazil were not going to make the Haskill Administration a One-Term Susie. His approval rating was in the crapper. Congress was walking all over every bill he had sent up during the last six months. The constituency was so crazy with this religious thing that they couldn't even remember any of the things he had done for the country.

General Tower was waiting for him in the back office, the one without a tape system. The soldier snapped to his feet when the President entered. "Good morning, Sir."

"Good morning, General Tower. We've got about fifteen minutes. I want to know about progress toward getting Jesus Robeles on the air with some soothing message for the masses. Did you know the media is saying that the rioting is getting worse?" The President spoke as he slid into one of the overstuffed chairs in the small room. "Sit, please sit down, General."

General Tower uncomfortably sank into one of the other two chairs. Unlike the President, he could not get comfortable slouching down in the thing. "I have met with Jesus Robeles daily, except for yesterday, and I believe that we are approaching a state of being at ease with each other. I believe that I am going to start spacing the meetings at least a day apart from now on."

"You know that we want to make all possible progress on this as quickly as possible. What's your thinking on fewer meetings?" the President asked pointedly.

"Our guests are beginning to understand how difficult it will be for them to get out of that penthouse. They are getting bored and lonely. I am the only visitor they usually have in a day's time, aside from housekeeping and hotel staff." the General went on.

"Housekeeping and staff would be completely Secret Service with a few CIA boys in there spying on the spies, right?" President Haskill was becoming thoughtful. "You probably even have a couple of CIA faces in your Marines by this time. Can't keep 'em out. They're like flies on a sunny day!"

"My thought is that Jesus Robeles will begin to want to make a press appearance, if for no other reason, just to get Himself out of the Watergate. We're going to make a trial videotape this week. We can use the studio right in the complex. I'm hoping that once He gets the feel of that, He will be ready to start talking." General Tower tried again to get comfortable in the chair.

"Has He said that He doesn't want to talk? Is He holding out to get something from me before He stops the riots?" the President looked at his watch.

"No, Mr. President. He's not holding out for anything. I'm fairly certain that He doesn't know what He's supposed to do. In fact, He told me as much in our last conversation. It's because of that confusion on His part that I have decided to go a little slower." General Tower had the distinct feeling that he didn't have enough stars to talk to this man. "I would also caution you that He doesn't see stopping the riots as His job, or even as something He particularly knows how to do. I think we have to play this thing by ear. Let it unfold a little more, at least long enough to hear what He has to say. When we have that in hand, we'll be ready to move ahead against the rioting."

The President rose from his chair, "Damn it, General! We've had this Guy in the country for going on two weeks, and every day that goes by that lunatic Stratton is taking pot shots at me and keeping the whole country fired up. The other side isn't helping any either with all their dreamy new age crap, who are they?"

"The CFC Mr. President. The Christians for Christ." Tower offered.

"That's right the CFC! They're just as crazy as Stratton! I can't believe this whole damned thing is just rolling on. I was hoping we would be seeing the light of day by now. And now you're telling me that you want to slow down! You are a Republican aren't you, General? I mean, you're giving this your best effort aren't you?" President Haskill was presuming a lot.

"I am a Major General in the United States Marine Corps, Mr. President. That means I always give my best effort." Tower answered testily.

"I mean how do you vote? You're not trying to wreck this administration are you?" the President glared into the Gen
eral's eyes.

Tower stood to attention to answer. "When I have this uniform on I dedicate everything, including my life to the service of the country and to the Commander in Chief. When I vote, I take this uniform off and vote for whoever the hell I want to." he replied with icy formality. General Tower had seen what cowardice could do, and he didn't like it.

"Well, keep me informed, General." the President responded too quickly as he left the room. Too quickly.