Saturday, October 9, 2010

Chapter 86

86
ROUTE 405 FAMILY ECONOMY LODGE, LOS ANGELES

"Hello? Hello? Betty is that you?"

"My Lord! Martha? Is that really you callin'? Andy and me just heard about the trial. We're so happy for you! Where are you?" Betty asked breathlessly.

"I'm still in Los Angeles. Boy, those were sure some good lawyers Andy picked. They was shootin' like canons in that courtroom -- that is after we got us a good judge." came the voice of Martha Stratton.

"When are you gonna come home, honey? We all miss you. Oh, Marge wanted me to say hello for her, too. You're a very rich woman now." Betty mused.

"Betty, I can't come home. The judge gave the trailer to Buck. I even have to get a State Trooper to go in with me and get my clothes. I'm living in a motel right now. Write down the name. It's the Route 405 Family Economy Lodge, room 12. Can you hear me all right?"

"Yes, Martha I can hear you just fine. Why do you ask?" Betty responded.

"Oh, I don't know. Buck would never let me talk long distance 'cause of how expensive it was and all. He used to make quite a few calls, but they were for, you know, Ministry business. Different things that would come up in the Ministry. He would always call some other Pastors on 900 numbers. I'd see 'em on the phone bill." Martha was still speaking loudly. "This connection is so clear, you'd think I was in the next trailer. It sure wasn't like that the last time I called long distance."

"Martha, about your clothes left over in number 17. Are you listening? Give 'em to Buck along with the rest of the trash in that place! You, my dear sweet woman with a hundred million dollars, need to shop! Shop! Shop! Shop! And move yourself out of that fleabag and into a nice hotel!" Betty insisted.

"Betty, the real reason I called is because I have some wonderful news! I talked to this man. . ."

"Martha! A man? You be careful, honey, you're on the rebound. A girl can't necessarily trust her instincts this quick out of the hopper!" Betty interrupted.

"Oh, no! Not that kind of a man. I talked to a man from United Christians for Christ. Those people aren't at all like what Buck told me. This man told me the good news that the Reincarnate Savior is bringing to the world! All of it sure made sense to me. I haven't felt so happy since I was a little girl!" Martha related excitedly.

"Oh, Martha! I'm so happy for you! Buck Stratton is the religion of death. Anybody would feel better with a living, breathing Savior!" Betty exclaimed.

"Betty, there's more. It is so secret right now that I can't even tell you about it. Plus, I'm sure it's going to happen at all, so I'll just keep it to myself. I know you'll be dyin' of curiosity, but you'll just have to wait. If my secret comes true I'll have you and Xanatu Pushbellows to thank for it!" Martha paused. "You know you're right. All these clothes of mine look a little frowzy. I had to take 'em up when I lost the weight. I think I'll just call a cab and go shopping. I'm sure there's a K-Mart of a Penny's here close by."

"Martha, you still are missing the point. You call yourself a cab. Then you go over to the most expensive shop in Los Angeles and shop. One more thing, honey. You just take your time and you tell the cab to wait." Betty suggested.

"Betty, I miss you so much. I'll get there as soon as I figure everything out."

"Martha, no matter where you go, you can't get far enough away so's our love isn't with you. Take care and call again soon. You can afford it! Bye, bye."