Friday, October 15, 2010

Chapter 80

80
 PURDY PLACES MOBILE HOME ESTATES, SAN DIEGO

"Honey, it just turns my heartstrings t' see you a cryin' like this. It seemed like you was doin' so good after readin' them books. What's the problem, honey? Can't you remember any of what Xanatu was saying?" Betty asked.

"I'm just feeling so lonely I could die, Betty. I just don't know what I'm going to do. I'm damned sure mad enough to walk right outta' here, but I can't afford to leave him. Where would I go? How could I live?"

Well, that's why folks go to court. They go to court and straighten out the details! That skunk snatched you up when you was just a girl, and since then he's about used you up! But you ain't down for the count, Martha. There's a law against what he's doin' to you."

"Oh Betty, I couldn't. I've got a powerful appetite to get even with him, but I could never put Buck behind bars. Anyway, he hasn't actually done anything to me." Martha said thoughtfully. "I will agree with you on one thing, though. He is a skunk for behavin' this way."

"Damn straight he is! And you can forget what you were sayin' about 'he ain't done nothin' to me'." Betty said impersonating Martha's comment. "See, darlin', there's such a thing as abandonment that comes into play in marriages -- especially marriages where the so-called man is nothin' but a low life skunk. Like I said there's laws against a husband treatin' you like that."

"Buck is still payin' the rent, or at least some man at the headquarters is. So I can't see how he's abandoned me while he's still doin' that." Martha objected.

"Look here, honey, just him not comin' around means he's abandoned you. Married folks is supposed to sleep together, damn it, Martha. Even though I get sick to my stomach just thinkin' about that smelly little fat boy, well you know." Betty was working to prove her case.

"Now Betty! There can't possibly be a law about that!" Martha blushed as she objected again. "I kind of count it as a blessing if you really had to ask me."

"There most certainly is! It ain't a lot to go on, but this is California. You can sure get a divorce for that!" Betty finally said the word. "Anyways, I don't know if it's because that scoundrel ain't been sending you no food money or if it's on account of your diet, but you are looking so good! If you could get loose of Buck, your life would start up again."

"There's still the problem of money. I don't have any money at all now, Betty. How could I get a lawyer?" Martha protested.

"You're gonna get a lawyer because you deserve one! That's how. I talked it over with my Andy. We was going to give some money to our grandson, but he ain't nothin' but a little hell raisin' junkie. We want to give you the money for a lawyer. And, my dear Martha, we're goin' to do that because you are the sweetest woman we know. Also because we think Buck ought'a step forward and take care of you lots better than he is now."

Sobbing, Martha answered, "I could just kiss you both. There's nothing like good friends to help a woman like me be a Roaring Woman like Xanatu was talkin' about. Why, my pride's tellin' me that I can't take the loan, but I'm just mad enough to get over that pretty darned easy!"

"Andy's already talked to a lawyer. He told Andy that Buck Stratton had more than a hundred million dollars, even though he was tryin' to hide it. That ol' lawyer's eyes just lit up like they was on fire when he heard that you was going to be his client. Andy said he wrung his hands and smiled real big." Betty went on, "All you gotta' do is get in there and fight for what's rightfully yours, Martha!"

"I knew that the Ministry was doing well, but I never dreamed that Buck had that kind of money! Are you sure he said a hundred million dollars? Land o' Goshen!" Martha exclaimed. "Does this lawyer think Buck'll give me part of that?"

"This lawyer is gonna' get paid more and more every time he gets you more and more outta' Buck's little nest egg. Andy says he's a real junk yard dog. Once he sets his teeth into that rascal, there won't be no stoppin' him!" The prospect of landing a blow on the evil empire of Stratton Ministries excited Betty even more than Martha.

"I guess I should show you all what came in the mail. I'm not sure I know what to make of it, but it may come in handy." Martha turned around to the kitchen drawer to retrieve an opened letter. "It's an anonymous letter from someone in the Ministry tellin' me that Buck's been seein' a younger woman, someone named Lolly Harshaw." She laid the letter down gravely on the dinette. "I have to tell you, Betty, that I am pretty much over givin' Buck the benefit of the doubt."

"Martha, you write that down so's you don't forget. You and me are goin' to take the bus down to this lawyer day after tomorrow. I already got the route and transfers and everything. We're leavin' at nine in the morning." Betty shook her finger at the younger woman to emphasize her point.

"I'm feelin' more like the Roaring Woman than ever now, Betty!" Martha said smiling.

"We've barely just begun. But we've begun, nonetheless!" Betty announced as if speaking to a great army.

"Oh Betty! I think I'm beginning to feel young again!" Martha agreed happily.