Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chapter 78

78
THE WHITE HOUSE

"General Veemer! Come in, come in. Your boy Towers is getting so big for his britches that he told me he wouldn't have time to visit. Can you swallow that? Didn't have time to visit the damned Commander in Chief? He did a good job of getting that press conference pulled off. I was just going to give him a pat on the back." President Haskill was fully political.

"I can get Towers in here if you really want to see him. He didn't tell me much about your last meeting -- just that things got off to a bad start between the two of you." General Veemer had no appetite to inform the President of what General Tower had really said. "He's not here today because he's got so damned much to do with that operation over there at the Watergate." Veemer hesitated to see how well that line sat with Robert Haskill before he went on, "The press conference came out pretty well, I think. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but it came out pretty well. The media likes it. Hell, the networks are interviewing the reporters who were in there just like they were celebrities. All they did was win the lottery."

"Is Robeles going to hold more press conferences? I think you should tell Tower to give Him something. Be sure He knows how much we appreciate it." Haskill was plotting.

"General Tower informs me that weekly press conference are to be held for the time being. Every Friday." Veemer proffered. "But what do you mean 'give Him something,' Sir?"

"Hell, I don't know! Give Him some kind of gift -- a car, a woman. It can't be too hard to think of something He wants, can it?" the President demanded. "People like Him learn to cooperate when you give 'em something they can take home and lord over their little jungle friends. How about a new Cadillac convertible? Those things were worth more than missiles in the Cold War. Russian dictators loved 'em."

"Jesus Robeles can buy anything He wants. He is reimbursing the State Department for the entire expense of His security arrangements. I doubt that He can be bought with anything you have to offer." Veemer was seeing a new side to the President -- the one General Tower had told him about. Haskill was becoming desperate about the election. As always the handmaiden to the desperate man was the pathetic man. It was disgusting.

"He may be paying for all that expense, but I can still pull all those troops out of there. Let's don't forget who's in charge in this little affair." Haskill said menacingly.

"He still has a corporate jet parked at Andrews. If you push Him too hard He might just leave. There are a dozen countries who would love to have Him. I suspect that the riots we have now would become riots against you if that were to happen." Veemer could almost see his words strike the face of the President.

"Has Tower talked to Him about ending the riots? Robeles didn't even hardly mention it this time. We need to get Him to tell everyone to stop rioting." Haskill demanded, finally coming to the point.

"I'm sure that General Tower has, but we have to remember that this Man is free to talk about whatever He wants. I think we should play the cards we have here, wait and see what happens with the rioting." Veemer was only refreshing what should have been Haskill's memory of the plan.

"Okay. Okay. But let's don't wait too long. Election's coming up." Haskill sat down on the corner of his desk. "There's one more thing, General Veemer."

"What's that, Sir?" the General asked.

"Well, it would be worth a lot to me if certain people, and by that I mean reporters, could win the lottery for some of those twelve seats, if you know what I mean." The President had clearly turned off the office recording system. His suggestion caught General Veemer a little by surprise.

"Do you mean rig the lottery?" Veemer asked.

"Well, in a sense, yes. I would want everybody to go through the motions, just like they did today. Except that two or three of the seats in the conference would go to reporters I picked. There are some news agencies out there that can do my reelection campaign some mighty big favors. They would be willing to do that if they could get their own people into the press conference. It seems that just sitting in there is something that is worth a lot to a network." Haskill continued, "What do you think?"

"Mr. President, one seat from the lottery was illegally sold today for half a million dollars. I'm a Marine and Tower's damned sure a Marine. Neither of us is going to solicit illegal campaign contributions for you, and that is exactly what it would be." Veemer had a very stern look on his face. "Marines don't cheat the public. Marines don't organize illegal campaign contributions. Marines don't cover up for those who do. I hope I've made myself clear on this issue."

"I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way, General Veemer." the President said menacingly. "What if I gave you a direct order?"

"Then I'd do it, just so long as you gave the order in writing in front of another capital military officer. That would be going by the book. Is that your wish, Mr. President?" Veemer looked like a bull dog dug into a mud hole.

"Uh, no. No, General Veemer. Just forget it." the President sputtered.

"Good day, Sir." the Marine snapped as he turned abruptly and left the office. He needed to talk to Hanneman.