Sunday, September 5, 2010

Chapter 120

120
THE WATERGATE HOTEL, WASHINGTON, D.C.

The morning brought a quiet house. Although they had risen as was customary for them at seven A.M., Jesus and Juan found their house guests long gone to their 'duty stations' on the floor below at the military affairs office. Peter Vasquez had promised to inform General Tower about the planned move during their morning briefing.

"Good morning, Juan." Jesus said politely so as not to surprise His friend who was clearly lost in thought.

"Oh. Good morning." Juan answered dreamily, still staring out over the city. "Beatrice is having her morning exercise out there somewhere."

"I'm sure she's fine. She likes to travel around Washington before it gets so busy with cars and noise." Jesus made conversation.

After a moment, Juan turned to Him. He was smiling. With the sunrise behind his face, he seemed to be beaming. "Today I am even happier than I usually am, Jesus."

Jesus laughed and said, "That's pretty obvious. Why such good spirits?"

"It's Nicole. Just being in the same building with her makes me happy. It's possible to see her everyday now. She's begin to teach me some more English, special phrases." Juan continued.

"That's good. What kind of special phrases?" Jesus asked.

"She calls it 'bedroom talk'. It's very exciting." Juan answered.

"You know, I feel the same way about Brenda. In fact, after all the trouble we caused, it's very good that all of them are close at hand." agreed Jesus.

"I can hardly wait to get to the ranch. She's promised to teach me to ride a horse -- just like television except no six shooters, of course." Juan spoke excitedly.

"You seem changed somehow, Juan. Are you in love that much?" asked Jesus.

"Yes, my hesitant Friend, I am. And I think it's high time for You to accept to Yourself the great gift of Brenda's affection. And even more, accept to Yourself the great joy You feel in having found her from amongst this whole world of women who would have been the wrong one for You." Juan stated boldly.

"What do you mean by that?" Jesus asked.

"I mean -- I don't know about You, being Who You are and all -- that I have no dreams of living forever. I intend to thank God for this wonderful thing and immediately go on from there. I intend to live my life with this wonderful and mysterious woman, make babies, watch the babies make babies and love my life every minute until I doze off in my rocking chair with Nicole at my side and go on to the next thing, whatever that it." Juan blurted out.

"Are you sure she's the one? How can you be so sure?" Jesus asked, irritated with Himself.

"I can be sure that I would always regret it if she isn't with me. I am sure that we will blend ourselves to make wonderful, beautiful children who will bring us great joy in our lifetimes. That's what I'm sure of!" answered Juan.

"You know that I would never pry into your affairs," Jesus began very seriously.

"But that's not to say that You wouldn't be curious about them, does it?" smiled Juan. "Now, ask me what You want to know, my Friend." Juan said reassuringly.

"Very well, "Jesus began, "have you and Nicole, you know?"

"If You mean have we had sex," Juan exploded in laughter, "Yes. We certainly have. And how!" Juan went on more seriously, "Is that wrong? Pastor Stratton says it is."

"Pastor Stratton doesn't understand that he is working to make hell right here, much less decide why we're going to hell or even if we came from hell. You, Juan, have variously been a sinful savage, the familiar of the demon and a homosexual. I can't really think that this will come before any of those, hell-wise." Jesus laughed.

"But You. Do You think it's wrong? Your thoughts are the ones that are important to me." Juan asked.

"My dear friend. You know that the world's trouble comes from what people are and not too much what they do. All their actions stem from their natures. Good people don't do bad things. Likewise, when people act wickedly, it is because they are wicked people. Chasing after bad deeds as Pastor Stratton does ignores the problem. In any event, you Juan Gemarro, are an extremely good person. How could I disapprove?" Jesus answered.

"Then since You fail to disapprove of this wonderful thing, when will You come to acknowledge Your own desire? Your desire for Brenda?" Juan asked innocently.

"I have considered those feelings very often, in fact many times each day. But I have hesitated because I know nothing about it." Jesus answered with His usual honesty.

"Do You mean about how to do it?" Juan asked bluntly.

"Yes, I suppose I do. How did you learn how to do it?" Jesus asked.

"Actually, Nicole knew all about it. I think all women probably do. She showed me everything. It's fantastic! I'm certain that You would enjoy it. It mostly just comes from Your body. Once it starts, You will know everything about what to do." Juan explained frankly.

"But how will I know if Brenda wants to?" Jesus asked.

"First of all, she does. If You are still wondering, why don't You ask her. But no Jesus stuff. This must come from her heart. And Yours. You will have to win her heart, as if You haven't already, as a Man. Otherwise Beatrice and I won't approve." Juan laughed.

"And if she says 'yes'?" Jesus asked excitedly.

"Then the rest is easy. Just think of how much You love her, how much You want her. Think of pleasing her. Think of her at Your side during Your life. Think of making wonderful babies!" Juan rattled on, "The rest will happen very naturally. Then You can be the One standing here staring off the balcony with a big happy smile for no reason." Juan broke into laughter again.

"I wonder what General Tower will say?" asked Jesus.

"It's not really his affair, as if he doesn't know already. Anyway, I won't tell him if You don't." Juan said kindly. "But there is one more thing to ask."

"What's that?" Jesus looked at His friend.

"Nicole and I want to get married. We both think it's a good idea so she can inherit my money in case anything happens. That way she can take care of our children. It's easy for me to forget. I'm not as rich as You are, but I'm still pretty rich."

"That seems reasonable to Me, but you know, of course, that you don't have to ask Me. That kind of thing has more to do with someone like Pastor Stratton, although Martha might be a more likely choice." Jesus said thoughtfully.

"No, my lifelong Friend, we want You to do it." Juan spoke with innocent excitement.

"I'm not sure that would be legal. I think there are laws about getting married here in America." Jesus cautioned.

"What could possibly be more legal than getting married by Jesus, Himself?" Juan asked.

"Well, when you look at it that way, why not?" Jesus agreed. "We can rent a big church and start everything off with a nice riot."

Juan laughed again. "No, Nicole and I think it should be a small wedding. Just Peter and Mark and Maggie and Brenda and You, of course."

"Don't you think we should invite Juan and Nicole?" Jesus laughed.

"Oh, yes! Of course we should be there!" interjected Juan with his natural nonchalance. Maybe we should invite General Tower and Agent Barnes -- just to represent all of our keepers!"

"And to be witnesses." Jesus thought out loud. "That would be good. When shall we do it?"

"Tonight. I want to be married when we get to the ranch." Juan could hardly wait to tell Nicole. Jesus became pensive.