Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chapter 123

123
THE WATERGATE HOTEL, WASHINGTON, D.C.

Remarkably little time was spent sharing the account of events at Bethesda. Much more time was spent between the four young women and the little girl Allissa. The wedding buffet was everything it had been promised to be. Mark Stentson had purchased CD's of wedding music and polkas. General Tower, having forgotten the blood stain on the side of his uniform was interested at the amount of attention the Marines were paying to Agent Frank Barnes' child.

"It's amazing how quickly the little girl seems to have forgotten everything that happened." he mentioned softly into Jesus' ear.

"What benefit could such a clear memory have for a little girl? Children aren't like us, General. They don't have much appetite to cling to painful things day after day even years after they happen. I think they sort out memories which are useful from those which aren't." Jesus spoke back softly amid the noise in the room. "How many grown men and women still suffer from something that might have just as well been left behind?"

"I see Your point, Sir." General Tower answered absent mindedly.

Jesus laughed. "You need a lesson in language from Beatrice! After she learns something, that's all you ever hear from her! You don't seem to be able to call me Jesus for more than an hour or so. Then suddenly, I'm Sir again!"

Changing the subject, Jesus turned back to the General. "By the way, do you know any common things that one might say during the performance of a wedding. I have to admit that most of what I have seen of them has come from dramas on television."

"That's not exactly my line of work, but I have at least attended a few in my day. Perhaps I can make some suggestions." the General continued, "I am certain that You must ask each of them whether they take the other as a lawful husband or wife, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health to have and to hold. Each will say 'I do', then that part is pretty much over. The rings can be placed on the finger of the other at this point."

"Then that's all there is to it?" Jesus asked.

"One last thing is that You must ask if anyone objects to the marriage. You must say that such a person must say so now, or forever hold his peace. The last part is to say to everyone, 'What has been put together here today, let no man tear asunder.' Afterwards You pronounce them man and wife."

"I should be able to do a passing job at that. All the parts seems reasonable enough." Jesus said thoughtfully. "Did all this arise from the Christian religion?"

"Oh no," laughed the General, "people were getting married in essentially this same form thousands of years before You were born the first time. Of course, the Christian religion lays claim to it all in this country as if they had invented it yesterday." The General continued, "I can still have a Marine Chaplain up here in minutes if You're getting cold feet."

"No, I'm sure I can handle it. Somehow I feel a little more at ease knowing that it's a non-sectarian thing." Looking back into the room, Jesus noticed the young Marines of both sexes playing with the little girl. "They are all quite taken with her, aren't they?"

"Yes, they are. That is a sign that You will probably be performing more marriages in the near future. If You don't mind my asking, I have wondered about Your plans with Sergeant Teal." the General asked in a friendly way.

"Well, I have already had a chance to play with Allissa. When Brenda Teal and Allissa are in the same room, I just seem to put two and two together. I have been thinking about how nice it would be to have a family of My Own." Jesus seemed to be lost in His thoughts.

"I know. I mean, I can see that just from watching the two of You when You are together. I can notice that she is trying to be very military when she is around me, but the wife and mother side of her is beginning to show through."

"You wouldn't object if we decided to get married, then?" Jesus asked.

"I would have the same objections that I did with Nicole Ramsey and Juan. You haven't known each other very long. One of You is incredibly rich. One of You has had little opportunity to meet other women. All those sorts of things." General Tower sighed, "But just as with these two, You would overwhelm my objections and I would agree. More than that, I would wish You the very best. When You told me that it would be a long happy life, I would have no alternative but to believe You. I know better. I probably wouldn't even worry."

Jesus laughed. "I heard you tell Juan that Marine women make the best wives. I couldn't agree more. But most important, I thank you for your blessing. Because it comes from you, it means a great deal to me. In fact, when you bless Me, it means a great deal to My Boss."

"That is more brass than I'm comfortable with, Jesus." the General laughed. "Now let's get these people married before they just start living in sin!"

"Sin?" Jesus asked, not understanding. "Oh, yes, sexual sin without the approval of the religion. Of course. Sometimes it's hard for Me to remember what an unusual way things are done here."



Doris Barnes had purchased an inexpensive Polaroid from the Watergate's gift shop. "Everyone group together now. I'm going to take the wedding pictures!"

Her husband rushed to her side with his normal urgent protocol. "Jesus won't appear on the film, honey. No one can take pictures of Him." he whispered.

Overhearing the conversation, Jesus stepped toward the couple. Very comfortably, He began to explain, "The pictures don't come out when I don't want them to. Juan and I had our picture taken getting off the destroyer in Rio before We knew any better. We had our picture taken again by a U.S. spy satellite while We were swimming, naked by the way, in our pool at Government House. We also had our pictures taken by Our friend Hernando after he cut Our hair. All of those pictures came out fine, and these will too." He made a point of taking the camera from Doris' hands, then returning it to her. "So, shoot away! Then we can switch photographers until we have all the pictures we want!"

The pictures did come out. The rest of the buffet was eaten -- Marines had the habit of never wasting food. The women, including Doris, 'Oohed and Ahhed' at the wedding ring Juan had given Nicole. It was about what one would expect from a twenty-something multi-millionaire hopelessly in love. Doris stole the show when she jokingly scolded the newlyweds and ordered them to go to bed. They did.

The Barnes thanked Jesus again for what He had done for Allissa. General Tower shook every one's hand, except for the bride and groom, of course. The company left. The Secret Service came and collected the remains of dinner. Mark Stentson built a fire in the fireplace and sat down on the divan with Cindy Bennet. The penthouse settled into its normal mode of operation.

Jesus found Himself standing in the kitchen with the most beautiful woman in the world.

"How did I do as a preacher?" He asked her good naturedly.

"I was impressed, although that was about the shortest wedding I ever heard." she answered as she hugged Him. "Was that Your idea?"

"No, actually, General Tower briefed me on the high points of a standard civil ceremony. I think it worked out alright, though." He answered as He smothered her in His arms. "Now that I am experienced, I'm completely ready to do it again. Except I don't think You can marry Yourself."

"In some cultures all You have to do is say 'I marry you' three times and it's done. I sure wish You would do something. I'm ready to eat You alive." she whispered.

He did. She did. It was the second marriage in the place that night.

Santos was informed in the morning. He excitedly congratulated everyone, then quickly made Nicole a multi-millionaire and Brenda Teal a billionaire.