Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chapter 96

96
UNITED CHRISTIANS FOR CHRIST HEADQUARTERS, TAMPA

The receptionist's voice seemed uncertain. "She said that she has driven all the way from San Diego to see you."

"Are you sure it's really THE Martha Stratton? You've seen her picture in the newspapers, is it her?" Ruth Yemmer asked. Not many nut cases could get past security, but every once in a while it happened.

"Yes, Oracle Yemmer. I'm pretty sure she's who she says she is." the receptionist affirmed.

"Hell, if that's the case, I should waiting to see her! Send her right in." Ruth Yemmer ordered.

"But what about your ten o'clock with the finance committee?" the receptionist asked.

"Cancel it. Don't disturb us until we're through." Yemmer instructed. Inside the CFC most people assumed there was something spiritually fickle about the work of the Oracle.

"Martha Stratton! I'm Ruth Yemmer. Did you know that you are my heroine? I had about the same kind of life myself, then I read a book a few years ago."

"Do you mean Xanatu Pushbellows?" Martha asked incredulous at the coincidence.

"Yes! How did you know?" Ruth asked.

"If it weren't for that book I'd still be frying eggs in Buck Stratton's trailer." Martha was beginning to relax a little. The Oracle's office looked more like a Greek temple than someplace to conduct day to day business. Songbirds were entering the open atrium to splash and bathe in the pool of the fountain.

"I know all about that scene, Martha. In my case I was working in a dinette, supporting a drunken bum of a husband. A mysterious man saw me being sad one slow night and gave me a copy of the Roaring Woman. I didn't know him. Never seen him before or after. Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't Jesus Himself!"

"Oh Ruth!" Martha paused, "Should I call you Ruth or what?"

"I'd be honored for you to call me Ruth, honey. Honored." the Oracle responded, "Why, I feel like you're my sister already!"

"When did your plane get in, Martha" Yemmer asked.

"Oh, I drove. I have a pretty good car, even though Buck's lawyers tried to take it in the settlement. I wanted to see the country. I married Buck in Kentucky all those years back, and we drove to California when he was just starting his ministry. That was an awful trip with him and all, but that is all the traveling I've ever done."

"So have you got a nice place to stay?" Yemmer asked kindly.

"Well, not yet, but I planned to go look for someplace when I'm through here." Martha allowed.

"Nonsense, girl! You're staying with me. I've been dying for some company. I have a very nice apartment right here in the headquarters. You know, security and all. I won't hear of it any other way!" the Oracle made the invitation both compelling and comfortable.

"Why did you come all the way to Tampa, Martha? Surely not just to see me." Yemmer asked.

"Ruth, that alone would have been worth it, but I do have some other business. When things were the worse during the divorce and all, I prayed that if God would just look after me, that I would try to do something back. I know that you can't make deals with God, but here's what I decided to do." Martha Stratton opened her worn purse, rummaged around a bit, then withdrew a folded paper, handing it to Ruth.

"What is this? Oh my goodness! This is an irrevocable letter of credit for fifty million dollars!" the Oracle paused to catch her breath. "Dear Martha, are you sure you want to do this? You know we're doing okay, moneywise, but we can sure put it to good use."

"I want the CFC to be able to meet every move that Buck makes. He's a very troubled man. In fact, sometimes I worry that all that popularity has gone to his head. I'm worried that maybe he has lost his way." Martha explained.

"You know Martha, Buck Stratton seems to be able to make a lot of trouble for us. He's a strong man and a strong leader for his congregation. That is a real advantage that he has over the CFC. I am too old and tired to be that kind of leader for us and it shows. Gosh, I was seventy-four when I became Oracle, and now I'm almost seventy-seven. A lot of times I'm just too tired to keep this outfit hoppin' the way it should be -- although the longer I talk to you, Martha, the more energy I seem to feel." the Oracle smiled kindly at her new friend. "I want to step down for my own sake and for the sake of the CFC. I just haven't found a good successor or I would have already appointed the next Oracle."

"You just appoint the next Oracle?" Martha asked. "Why don't people outside the CFC understand that that is your title?"

"We pretty much just use that name inside our church. As far as the appointment, the answer is basically yes. The Synod of Bishops has to approve. I have an idea, Martha. Why don't you join me in meditation for a few minutes?" the Oracle proposed.

"I'm not sure what to do, Ruth. I haven't ever done anything like that before. Buck always said it was Satanic." Martha blurted. "But, you know I think it is time for me to try something new. What should I do?"

"Let's just try to become calm, and for the first time, why don't you just treat it like a prayer. That's what I'm going to be doing -- being the Oracle. Just like I get paid for." Ruth laughed.

"Being the Oracle means you're responsible for seeing what's going to happen, right?" Martha asked, almost suspiciously.

"That's right, Martha. It's time for me to figure out what's going to happen."

The two women sat on low stools in the cool air of the fountain, quietly meditating. The half hour agreed upon passed very quickly for Martha Stratton. She arose from her meditation refreshed and energized. Ruth Yemmer, Oracle to the millions of members of the United Christians for Christ emerged from her meditation with a Buddha's smile.

"Martha, my dear, dear friend. You will be the next Oracle" Ruth proclaimed solemnly.

"I know." said Martha in a quiet confident voice.

"I was pretty sure you did. Don't worry about the Bishops saying that you paid your way in. They will be your biggest backers when I'm through with 'em."