Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chapter 95

95 
THE WATERGATE HOTEL, WASHINGTON, D.C.

Juan answered the door, Beatrice on his shoulder, to greet General Tower with a smile. "Good morning, General!" he said proudly in shaky English.

Tower smiled happily. "Good morning, Juan!" Knowing that the Brazilian had just expended most of his English vocabulary, Tower courteously turned to Jesus to carry the conversation further.

"You should be happy that the riots have stopped. I assume that makes the White House very happy -- perhaps happy enough to give you another star?" Jesus joked.

"Well, yes. The President and his people are very relieved by developments. There don't seem to be any sizeable riots anywhere in the country." allowed Tower. Hesitating for a moment he continued, "Would You mind if I were to ask a personal question?"

"I may not answer, but I would never mind that you ask. Please. What do you want to know?" Jesus said as He brought two cups of coffee.

"Did You stop the riots?" Tower asked gingerly. This was uncomfortably close to the limits of protocol.

"Do you mean did I make it rain in Atlanta?" Jesus responded.

"Did You?" asked the General.

"No. What happened in Atlanta was a meteorological phenomenon. But it was a good idea wasn't it?" Jesus answered smiling.

"Idea for whom? What do You mean?" Tower pressed on.

"Actually, it was Juan's idea. It came to him while he was watching television reports about it. He notices more because he can't understand the talking." Jesus spoke nonchalantly. "Since everyone is praying for rain right now, it isn't surprising that it is raining, is it?"

"Perhaps that makes me wonder if Juan is more than he seems to be. Something special." Tower asked.

"Juan is very, very extremely special, General. He is My friend." Jesus answered. Juan sat smiling on the sofa with Beatrice on his shoulder. "Perhaps you wish you had such a friend?"

"After what You showed me while we were together last week, after I was revealed to myself, all my wishes for my life seem to have changed. For the better. Of course I wish I had such a friend." General Tower said thoughtfully.

"First of all, General, all the changed ideas which you have experienced need not be judged toward the better or toward the worse. They are all changes towards the direction of what you have always naturally been. Along the way you have lost yourself. Now, you are rediscovering what you have lost." Jesus' face was one covered by unimaginable serenity. "As to having a Friend, I have now all the respect for you that I have always had, but after our talk I find that I also have come to hold a great affection for you."

"As much as for Juan?" Tower asked.

"General, you forget yourself." Jesus answered smiling.

"Oh. I have forgotten myself again. Forgive me. I am trying very hard to get past that in myself." the General's voice was filled with sincerity.

"I know. Things will get better. As for friendship. It is like the air on this planet. Because Juan has enough to breathe, does it mean that you will be short? Friendship such as this is available in infinite supply. No matter how many people begin to express it, there will never be a short supply such that someone who wishes to express it will not have enough." Jesus laughed His most disarming laugh of all.