Thursday, November 25, 2010

Chapter 40

40
ABOARD RESURRECTION, OFF GUANABARA BAY, BRAZIL

"Mr. Santos. I'm glad I've reached you. This is Tom Hanneman with the Haskill administration in Washington."

Yes, Mr. Hanneman. I've been expecting your call. I notice that you've reached us through our Belgian affiliate. You may be reassured to know that this is a secure line. What could possibly bring us to your attention?"

"Mr. Santos we have come to understand that your party is experiencing certain difficulties with the Brazilian government, the most pressing of which might be travel restrictions."

"Actually, Mr. Hanneman we have just now finished a wonderful dinner on board my Client's yacht, Resurrection. At least for the moment we seem to be able to come and go as we please."

"We have intelligence here suggesting that this situation might change abruptly." Hanneman was in his famous mode of talking much and saying little.

"We are quite aware of that intelligence, Mr. Hanneman. If the United States government were more familiar with the Southern Hemisphere states, you would know that security here, although generally brutal, is quite leaky. I could hardly represent my Client's interests in an intelligence vacuum." Victor Santos was easily a match for the political advisor.

"As you know, your Client's sudden appearance seems to have incited significant turmoil in the United States. It is our view that both He and the Haskill administration could benefit from a, say, vacation in the United States. Speaking for the President, I can offer a comprehensive package of support for His ministry along with secure and comfortable accommodations for His party. This can include guidance for His public appearances and sermons." Hanneman threw the bait.

"I am confident that I speak for my Client when I say that those are essentially the conditions which have been imposed on us here. Also, I don't think the Brazilian government is particularly inclined to grant Jesus a passport, much less an exit visa." Santos refused the bait.

"Mr. Santos, please be advised that we have taken several very low key and non-provocative steps which we hope will influence the Brazilian government to soften its position." Hanneman was still determined to say as little as possible.

"I shudder to think what those might be, Mr. Hanneman." Santos was utterly calm, but there was a growing firmness in his voice. "We have actually applied to a number of nations, not for visa status with conditions such as those you've just mentioned, but for full conferred citizenship. In fact, certain states have indicated an interest in simply volunteering full citizenship. The complications your government has introduced seem to make the United States less than an optimum choice. Still, I want to thank you for calling."

"Just a moment, please, Mr. Santos. Perhaps I can clarify our position. The United States is concerned about the safety of Jesus Robeles. Frankly, it is prepared to act rather boldly to assist His escape from Brazil." Being dragged along in a conversation was a new experience to Tom Hanneman.

"Now let me clarify my Client's position, Mr. Hanneman. Jesus Robeles is a Brazilian National. He would never freely solicit an armed incursion into His homeland on His behalf no matter what circumstances might prevail. He would be even more forcefully opposed to such an action if it carried with it even the remote potential for injury or, God forbid, loss of life." Mr. Santos was now, finally, delivering the message. "My Client presumes Himself, more than most men, to be a free citizen of this planet. As such He may travel to the United States or not, as He wishes. If He should choose to do so, I'm certain that the Haskill administration will greet Him with the dignity and respect which befits Him. Jesus is among us to bring goodwill. I personally will ensure that He is not soiled by the petty machinations of frightened men, whether Presidents or Popes."

"Once again, think you for calling. Perhaps we can meet someday. Good bye, Mr. Hanneman."