Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chapter 49

49
THE WHITE HOUSE

"Hi Lucy. Thanks for coming on such short notice. Did you get the all clear from the Press Secretary?" President Haskill said as he removed his jacket and rolled up his sleeves.

"Yes, sir. The Press Secretary has a fifteen minute window for you on all the network stations at the beginning of the six o'clock news tomorrow. He asked again if you didn't want him to send up a speech writer. He said he'd keep one in the White House tonight, in case you change your mind."

"No, Lucy. I don't think I'm going to change my mind. I haven't said much about the trouble that is going on in the country -- mainly because my press handlers thought it would be better if I stayed out of it. But I think that has been the problem. I've been a politician for a long time, and one thing I can do is deliver one helluva a speech. This thing needs to be between the people and me. I think we've had these damned speech writers manipulating this thing too long."

"Do you think you can persuade them to stop rioting? Do you think they'll listen to you and stop the trouble?" She asked with a worried look.

"I think it is worth a try. Who can have more influence than a politician? Who can speak with a stronger voice than the President? What the people are crying out for is leadership. They are almost like frightened children who just need a firm hand to lead them the right way. Who is going to do that besides the President of the United States?" Haskill slipped for a moment into a sentimental reflection on his own career in politics.

"But you were elected on thirty one per cent, President Haskill. Doesn't that make you wonder if you really have enough influence to get this done? Since the rioting started your approval rating is back down in the low thirties, too." Lucy could talk to the President this way. She had orders from the Press Secretary to talk him out of this speech any way she could.

"That's why I want to write this one myself. I'll refer to all the great Presidents of the past, Lincoln, Jefferson. . . Washington. Well, those three at least. By this time tomorrow my approvals will be up and the rioting will be down. You wait and see. This is going to help me a lot!"

"Yes, Mr. President. I guess we had better start writing, yes?" Lucy could feel her stomach turning as she prepared to take dictation.

Because Robert H. Haskill was a Republican President, the Seal of his office was draped with tasteful blue as it appeared on the television screen. The announcer drew a breath and introduced the President. It had been decided earlier that ruffles and flourishes would be a bit too much.

Robert Haskill was at his absolute best while he was in front of a camera. The dark suit, impeccably tailored, subdued yet pushy red power tie and a robin egg blue dress shirt were the tools of his trade. Borrowing from Presidents past would have been plagiarism to any other President, but to Robert Haskill it was simply tradition.

"My fellow Americans, I am speaking to you tonight in hopes of encouraging you all to help my administration restore order in the country. We must remember that this is the land of prosperity and freedom. We must be ever vigilant to avoid the quagmire of religious conflict and even war which engulfed the nations of old Europe. We must remember that those were the conditions which sent our Forefathers to America in the first place. The Founding Fathers of the United States sought a safe haven where they could practice their religion in peace, and they found that haven here.

The United States has always been a nation of religious tolerance. This idea was so important that it is written into our Constitution, the Constitution of Washington and Jefferson. They knew that religious peace was the foundation of economic prosperity, and we all know how important that is!

The American way is to not take this stuff too seriously. I mean, we are famous for that attitude around the entire globe! But here we are, we are having a religious war where both sides are the same religion!

Tonight, I am urging everyone to calm down, at least so we can have peace and order for the campaign. This is an important time when we will make decisions for the country, and how can we do that in an atmosphere of chaos and violence?

Tonight, I am asking you to set aside your religious differences long enough to let the political process work the way it is meant to. I know everyone is excited about the campaign which is starting, and I know everyone understands how important it is to me. So please join me in being good Americans. Get involved in the campaign! Remember that the American way holds politics to be the top priority. Peace, prosperity and politics. That's what this administration is all about!"