Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chapter 61

61
PENTHOUSE, WATERGATE HOTEL

As the door closed, Juan commented, "He seems like a nice person. He is certainly American, if you know what I mean."

"No, what do you mean?" asked Jesus.

"Well, he spends most of his energy trying to look like he doesn't care about anything, as if he is trying to hide his true emotions. The 'jungle bunny' thing seemed to affect him, though." Juan answered.

"Oh, that was something he said to General Veemer, whoever that is, yesterday. He only became embarrassed by it when he thought I knew about it." Jesus said.

"Did You know about it?" Juan questioned.

"Not until he remembered it just then. I'm afraid he thinks I heard the conversation that he had with Veemer. We need to straighten that out." Jesus answered thoughtfully. "You can see that Americans try to hide their emotions as if they were a secret Then, when it the time comes, they realize that their emotions are a secret to themselves, too. But it has a happy ending. When someone's emotions are ready, they step forward and shake his hand. Emotions reveal themselves in their own time."

"Anyway, I think I'd like a parrot. Is that why You asked for one?" Juan asked.

"I'd like one, too. A nice parrot will make this place a little more like home for us. But the reason I asked General Tower for one is because it is something so simple that not even the United States can really mess it up, and because it will allow the General to become our friend." Jesus answered.

"Allow him to become our friend?" Juan asked, not understanding.

"That's right. General Tower won't allow himself to become our friend until he does something for us, something personal. You know, something that he will actually do himself instead of sending someone else to do it." Jesus answered.

"Will he do it himself?" Juan asked.

"Yes, he will go parrot shopping this afternoon. After his conversation with General Veemer." Jesus smiled.

General Tower descended in the elevator back to his command post on the first floor. Military regulations actually specified everything about a two star general's office, the number of square feet, the size of desk, the type of chair, both his and those for his visitors and the placement of flags, one United States flag and one -- the tiniest bit shorter -- U.S, Marine Corps flag. He had several offices, all identical. Once at his desk, he sometimes forgot where he was. He had become a very busy man.

Opening the second drawer on his desk with a key, he pulled it out to reveal a special telephone, quite different from the one on his desk. Entering a code, he waited for his call to be completed.

"This is General Tower calling for General Veemer. Yes, I'll wait."

"Villie, Justus Tower. I'm doing pretty well, I think."

"Yes, I just came from the meeting."

"They seem to be just sitting around. Everything went fairly well. I have some disconcerting news, though. It's pretty clear that either Jesus, or one of His operatives was able to eavesdrop on our conversation at the Fireside last night."

"That's right. He knew about the 'jungle bunny' comment. He threw it back at me while I was up there. We'll have to implement 'TALK CLOSE' if we plan to keep any secrets."

"I didn't have any intelligence about operatives either, but there isn't any other way He could have found out. I don't think we should trust sending any e-mail, either."

"Well, they're pretty rustic, but I wouldn't call them 'jungle bunnies'. They went down the pool elevator to meet me. The Secret Service was in a tizzy, but that all worked out alright. I shudder to think what they are doing while they try figure out how to live in that apartment."

"Yes, the penthouse is very nice. What we need right now is a little time. Time for them to get more comfortable. Time for me to get a little more comfortable with them. Time for me to buy a parrot."

"Yeah, that is the only thing they asked for, so I'll go get them one."

"No, I think I'll do it myself. I'll keep you informed."