Friday, November 5, 2010

Chapter 60

60
PENTHOUSE, WATERGATE HOTEL

Ten A.M. was considered the diplomatic hour. That is, ten A.M. was a "morning" appointment. Earlier than that was deemed uncivilized or military and later was running a risk of interrupting luncheon engagements. General Tower arrived at ten.

Upon his arrival the Secret Service agent in charge telephoned the penthouse to announce him. Juan picked up the phone and quickly gave it to Jesus, who very reasonably responded, "We'll be right down."

This was an invisible crisis for the Secret Service whose schedule had indicated the meeting would be in the penthouse. General Tower, not being one to stand too firmly on protocol, was knocking at the door a moment later. No one answered.

Speaking into his cell phone, he reached the duty agent. "I've been monitoring all the traffic in the hallway. They definitely did not come out that way. There isn't any other way out except the elevator to the pool. Wait a minute. They are standing in the swimming pool area, apparently waiting. I've got them on the monitor. That area has not been secured."

General Tower opened the door and walked across the living room to the elevator, thumbing the button. The car arrived moments later with Juan and Jesus inside.

"Hello. I'm General Justus Tower. I'm glad to meet You, Sir." the General said to Juan who exited first. Juan stared back blankly at the officer, having no idea what he had just said.

Hello General. I'm Jesus Robeles and this is My friend, Juan Gemarro. We were going to come down to meet you, but this elevator only goes to the swimming pool. It's actually rather difficult for us to come to the reception area." Jesus offered.

"I understand completely. These Secret Service agents -- can You understand me alright?" The General stopped himself for the inquiry.

"Yes General, I seem to be able to understand pretty much any language. I tried Italian, Spanish and English, so far. Juan, however, only understands Portuguese, so I will occasionally have to pause in our conversation to translate for him." Jesus spoke excitedly. "You are our very first company. It's very nice to have you in our home."

"Well, today I planned to visit for only a short time. I wanted to see if You needed anything that You couldn't get from either the Secret Service or room service." the General was still speaking slowly, as if to someone who was having trouble with the language. "This is a nice hotel, but I was wondering if You required anything along the lines of, say, special decorations or anything."

"Special decorations?" asked Jesus.

"Yes, something like a chapel or perhaps a cross. I'm certain that any kind of requirement could be accommodated by the hotel, even if were to mean some remodeling." the General answered, hoping that he could raise the possibility of some kind of peace offering. If he could provide something to them, it would be a step closer to good relations.

"We probably don't need a chapel any more than anyone else does, but We definitely don't want a cross in here." Jesus declined, almost agitated. "I realize that your offer of a cross was made in friendship and generosity, but it is an offer which only a man who never dealt with one might make. I hope that I have seen the end of crosses -- especially ones with My Name on them. That idea didn't work that well last time, anyway."

General Tower had a concerned look, but sat in puzzled silence.

"Yes, General, I remember last time as if it were yesterday. Of course, now that I think of it, I didn't really have much time to remember last time, if you know what I mean." Jesus was becoming more comfortable now.

General Tower was becoming less comfortable. "Uh, I guess that's true. Well, I only wanted to drop in, You know, to meet You both and get acquainted. I'm sure we can work together."

Juan spoke something, then Jesus translated. "We both would really like a parrot. Do you think room service can get one for us?"

"A live parrot? As a pet?" the General was concentrating on keeping all emotion from his face.

Jesus laughed, "Of course alive. Only jungle bunnies eat dead parrots. They aren't all that tasty, either."

It was over. Tower blushed mightily. "I'm sure room service can handle that for You. Now I really must be going. I'll drop in tomorrow morning to check on You."

"I probably won't know any more about what I am supposed to do by then either, but we will be glad to see you. Perhaps you can have breakfast with us. I promise it won't be parrot!" Jesus laughed as the General slid through the front door of the penthouse.